filename separators and option indicators

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
Sun Jun 3 22:05:34 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.065335.10406 at agate.berkeley.edu>, dankg at lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
> 	Gee, I knew that:  You can quote file name in shell and just do
> fopen("~!@#$%^&*()-_=+[{]}\\|\'\";:?.>,<", "w") in C source or anything but
> in reality those drive your shell nuts.  As far as Unix has no Finder
> or SFDialog to access these files without pain, we'd better stay away from
> those nasty punctuation marks...

Try a Sun 386i some time.  Or use the Xerox/Envos lisp environment.  Or use
one of several menu-shells.  And so on.
Remember:  UNIX is not finished.
--
"A 7th class of programs, correct in every way, is believed to exist by a
few computer scientists.  However, no example could be found to include here."