Problem with nodelay() in curses(3v) in Sun/OS 4.0.3.

David R Kohr drk at athena.mit.edu
Sat Jun 9 08:34:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun8.002108.11536 at athena.mit.edu> drk at athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:
>I'm having a problem with the System V curses(3v) provided with
>Sun/OS 4.0.3.

I got the following reply from Carl Smith at Sun in response to a
cross-posting of this article to comp.sys.sun:
-------
From: cs at Eng.Sun.COM (Carl Smith)
To: drk at ATHENA.MIT.EDU (David R Kohr)
Subject: Re: Problem with nodelay() in curses(3v) in Sun/OS 4.0.3.

	I discovered the same thing myself about a year ago and filed a bug
on it.  It's bug #1012523, and it's fixed in SunOS 4.1.  Here's the public
summary from that bug report:

	The curses library function wgetch fails when the window is put in
	no delay mode (via nodelay(win, TRUE)).  Characters in the tty input
	queue are not read, and the return value of the function is incorrect.

			Carl
-------
So I now know that the Sun/OS 4.0.3 nodelay() and halfdelay() System V
curses(3v) routines definitely do *not* work properly.

Now if someone could tell me how to achieve the same functionality
as nodelay() by some other means (perhaps a non-blocking select(2) on
the terminal device), that would completely solve my problem.

--
David R. Kohr     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory      Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
    email:    DRK at ATHENA.MIT.EDU (preferred)  or  KOHR at LL.LL.MIT.EDU