Xenix deamon -- why doesn't it die??

Tim Sesow ssds!tims at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jun 8 08:50:58 AEST 1990

>	Running Xenix 386 and recently installed an Irwin tape backup
>unit.  Have noticed as many as 3 deamons running at the same time for
>the tape unit.  Can't seem to kill any or all of them.  It's not really
>necessary to kill them but I'm more curious about why they don't die.
>Does one restart the other if one dies .. the pid remains the same after
>a kill. Please enlighten me.

The deamons are probably waiting for an event in the kernel (kernel sleep)
at a priority that does not allow a SIG to terminate the operation
in progress.  A device driver can put a process to sleep at a driver-selected
priority and if that number if too high (or too low? I forget), there
is no way to kill the process until the operation completes.

 |  Tim Sesow               |   (303) 798-5520                |
 |  SSDS, Inc.              |   Fax: (303) 795-9451           |
 |  1101 West Mineral Avenue|                                 |
 |  Suite 200               |Internet:  ssds!tims at uunet.uu.net|
 |  Littleton, CO  80120    |UUCP:  ..!uunet!ssds!tims        |