How to move directories around, really?

Vicki Brown vlb at Apple.COM
Thu Jun 28 07:16:43 AEST 1990

In article <48934 at seismo.CSS.GOV> black at beno.CSS.GOV (Mike Black) writes:
>OK guys, what am I missing?  I always copy directories useing 'cp -r' which
>works fine, copies the files and not the links and has never burped on me
>for any reason.  What's the problem with doing it this way?

Depends what you want.  tar, cpio, and others of that ilk allow you to
preserve the last-mod time, owner, group, permissions, etc.  cp does not.
When I want an exact (well, as exact as possible ;-) copy of a file tree,
I use cpio.  We happen to have both (cpio & tar) as well as pax (!); for
file tree copying, I rate cpio very highly.  For normal archives, I'd rather
use tar.  I have not used pax, as yet.

  |  Vicki Brown                    \         Apple Computer, Inc.      |
  |  vlb at apple.com                   \        MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.    |
  |  A/UX Development Engineering     \       Cupertino, CA  95014 USA  |
  |  +1 (408) 974-2120                 \                                |
  |          Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?		|
  |       (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)       |