Looking for balanced critique of Perl

Leo de Wit leo at ehviea.ine.philips.nl
Fri Jun 29 07:21:32 AEST 1990

In article <8497 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
    [stuff left out...]
|(However, I do have a complaint against people that don't know how to
|use the / key on a manual page--presuming their pager knows about the
|/ key.  With many of the questions that people ask in comp.lang.perl,
|I just search through the man page using the very keyword they used,
|and find the thing right there in the manual.  People really don't know
|how to use computers yet.  Sigh.)

Unfortunately, the very keyword you're looking for is often underlined,
or typed over multiple times, so it contains embedded backspaces (and
possible underscores or repetitions) in the manual text. I had a few
bad experiences with that lately. There really should be an option of
the pager to compare modulo underlining/fat printing.

   Leo.