Looking for balanced critique of Perl

Barton E. Schaefer schaefer at ogicse.ogc.edu
Sat Jun 30 03:57:02 AEST 1990

In article <814 at ehviea.ine.philips.nl> leo at ehviea.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
} In article <8497 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
}     [stuff left out...]
} |With many of the questions that people ask in comp.lang.perl,
} |I just search through the man page using the very keyword they used,
} |and find the thing right there in the manual.
}
} Unfortunately, the very keyword you're looking for is often underlined,
} or typed over multiple times, so it contains embedded backspaces (and
} possible underscores or repetitions) in the manual text. I had a few
} bad experiences with that lately. There really should be an option of
} the pager to compare modulo underlining/fat printing.

I have taken to using

    man perl | less -i

Searches in the "less" pager, at least in more recent versions, will match
underlined or overstruck text when the ignore-case option is used.
Bart Schaefer						schaefer at cse.ogi.edu