Tranfering nohup processes between ttys

Tom Reingold tr at samadams.princeton.edu
Thu Jun 7 00:01:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun3.191948.13333 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
aj3u at ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Asim Jalis) writes:

$ Is there an easy way to transfer nohup process which has been spawned
$ by a parent no longer alive, between ttys?  I am not sure how clearly,
$ I have expressed myself.  Let me try again.  Suppose I leave an emacs
$ process running, and exit.  If I login as a new tty, is there a way to
$ get back into my emacs process?

I know of only one way to do this, and it's not any goodd for many
situations.  There is a program caled "screen" which is freeware and
runs only ony BSD flavors of Unix.  If you hangup during a screen
session, logging back in allows you to reattach to the screen's child
processes.

This is an added feature of "screen"; it's not its main purpose.  Its
main purpose is to have virtual screens on a simple tty.
--
Tom Reingold
tr at samadams.princeton.edu
rutgers!princeton!samadams!tr