SCO UNIX booting problem

Deryk Barker DBarker at system-m.phx.bull.com
Tue Jun 12 02:26:47 AEST 1990

Maybe  someone  has some idea what's going on here.  When I boot my SCO UNIX V
3.2  on  my 386 I have a problem that appears maybe 8 times out of 10.  As the
system comes up it obviously does some sort of equipment initialisation which,
among  other  things, turns NumLock off on my AT keyboard (which is how I know
it's doing the keyboard init).  The problem is that frequently after this init
process the system will not respond to my keyboard at all and I am dead in the
water.   If  I  get past the init with the keyboard working then everything is
fine  from  that  point  on;  until I reboot, at which time I run the gauntlet
again  and  probably  lose.   I  am convinced that it is probably some sort of
hardware problem but it NEVER happens with DOS.  Can someone suggest what sort
of init UNIX does to my hardware that DOS doesn't do?

Answers by mail please.

"Send Lawyers Guns and Money,
 Dad, get me out of this!"

          Deryk Barker