Nameserver question...

Erik Talvola talvola at janus.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:02:48 AEST 1990

  This may be fairly obvious, or in a manual somewhere, but I thought I'd
post a message here to start.

  I want to set up an auxilliary domain for a network of computers here
at Berkeley.  In otherwords, instead of the normal .berkeley.edu suffix,
I want hostname.subnet.berkeley.edu.  First, where should this be set up?
Presumably, just in the main nameserver at Berkeley, but would any changes
have to be made in local sites, or in yellow pages for Sun systems, to
handle this?

  Then, I spent some time tracing down gethostbyname() to see what it
actually did.  This is on a Sun, and it was really confusing tracing down
all the function calls to yp and rpc routines.  Is there something somewhere
which explains exactly what happens when this is called?  Without yellow pages,
it seems easy, but with them things get pretty messy.

  Finally, I need to modify named (or in.named) on the machine which wants
to handle the subnet, because instead of looking up an address and returning
it (which I assume it normally does), I want to call a program which will
give the correct value.  Would named be the only thing to change here?

  I know this may be obvious, but I'm a relative newcomer to low-level
network stuff.  Please E-mail responses if you can instead of posting - that
way I don't have to wade through comp.unix.wizards.  Many thanks...