netblt

Abhijit Khale akhale at chamomile.uucp
Sat Jun 30 18:46:30 AEST 1990

In article <STEVEB.90Jun29114755 at ceawlin.cs.odu.edu> steveb at cs.odu.edu (Steve Baylon) writes:
>Hi!  I was wondering if any of you wizards have any experince with
>netblt.  It is supposedly somthing like ftp.

Netblt ( if we are thinking about the same animal :-) ) is not "like" ftp. Its a transport
protocol meant for use in high speed networks. It uses rate based flow control
rather than the window based flow control used in TCP, TP4 etc.

Further Information about netblt can be obtained from RFC 998 and RFC 1030. SIGCOMM'87
also has an article on netblt. Implementations of netblt for an IBM-PC and for a
UNIX system ( using raw sockets) should also be publicly available from allspice.lcs.mit.edu

Abhijit
akhale at parc.xerox.com