sockets

Gerard A. Allan elev26 at castle.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 22:25:30 AEST 1990

In article <4421 at infmx.UUCP> kevinf at infmx.UUCP (Kevin Franden) writes:

>Being incredibly naieve about sockets, I ask this blindly:
>
>Doesn't there exist a function to determin a preexisiting (I've
>heard some call this a "wellknown") service's socket number?

sounds like you want,
                    struct servent *getservbyname(name, proto)
                    char *name, *proto;

There seems to have been a lot of questions on sockets recently (I don't
want to discourage them since I learn a lot from the answers), there are a
couple of good sources of information that will answer most users questions

1)   ``An Introductory 4.3BSD Interprocess Communication
     Tutorial.'' (reprinted in UNIX Programmer's Supplementary
     Documents Volume 1, PS1:7)

This give a *very* clear introduction to sockets (University Libs should
have a copy)

Follow up by reading,

2)   ``An Advanced 4.3BSD Interprocess
     Communication Tutorial.'' (reprinted in UNIX Programmer's
     Supplementary Documents Volume 1, PS1:8)

Once you've read these you could probably answer most of the socket
related questions ask here recently.

Gerard A. Allan                                 | Post:  EMF
elev26 at castle.ed.ac.uk                          |        Kings Buildings
JANET:elev26 at uk.ac.ed.castle                    |        University of Edinburgh
Internet:elev26%castle.ed.ac.uk at cunyvm.cuny.edu |        Edinburgh
EARN/BITNET:elev26%castle.ed.ac.uk at UKACRL       |        Scotland
UUCP:elev26%castle.ed.ac.uk at ukc.uucp            |        EH9 3JL