finding things in the source tree, a proposal

David Elliott dce at smsc.sony.com
Fri Jun 15 07:25:41 AEST 1990

In article <2083 at esquire.UUCP>, yost at esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:
|> Imagine this:
|>
|> Thinks to self: Hmm, where is the source to thingy?
|> Types this:     cd /src/where/`which thingy`
|> Et voila!

I like your idea, Dave.

I would like to point out, though, that with judicious use of cdpath,
this can already be done.  I've done a couple of Unix utilities ports
in the past 7 years, and maintained X clients for over a year now.  With
such a large number of items, I've always had elements from my source
trees in my cdpath.  The source for 'ls' is always a 'cd ls' away.

David Elliott
dce at smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
(408)944-4073
"If I had a hat the size of Oklahoma, I'd be a happy person."