Can two processes have the same pid?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Mon Jun 11 04:58:53 AEST 1990

In article <1049 at umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu> hegde at umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu
(Uday Hegde) writes:
> [...]
>Doing a "ps" revealed that there was one other process, belonging to
>some other user, which had pid 29973 and my process was still around!
> [...]
>Is this behavior common among UNIX-like systems or is it a bug in ULTRIX?

I don't know about ULTRIX but I am sure that if that happens it is a serious
bug.  The only kernel source I have access to is Minix and that looks at
each active PID in the system before assigning a new one to make sure that
there is no duplication.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude