filename separators and option indicators

Joshua Osborne stripes at eng.umd.edu
Fri Jun 1 16:18:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.065335.10406 at agate.berkeley.edu> dankg at lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:
>	Gee, I knew that:  You can quote file name in shell and just do
>fopen("~!@#$%^&*()-_=+[{]}\\|\'\";:?.>,<", "w") in c source or anything but
>in reality those drive your shell nuts.  As far as Unix has no Finder
>or SFDialog to access these files witout pain, we'd better stay away from
>those nasty punctuation marks...
Unix does in the same sense that MS-DOS does.  Have you ever heard of X?
Or run a Motif program?  It's not true that all, or even many Unix programs
use such boxes, but you can get them.

('tho I doubt I will use a Mac-like interface to the file system, it's too
constricting - the Finder that is.  I know Sun's File Manager doesn't suit
me, but I havn't seen Looking Glass yet, but I'm most satisfyed with csh &
twm so I'm not about to spend money).
--
           stripes at eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne at Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"