Init S on System V 3.2

Joseph H. Buehler jhpb at granjon.UUCP
Tue Jun 5 07:59:08 AEST 1990

In article <22129 at mbf.UUCP> wizm at mbf.UUCP writes:

   I and another engineer here are  in  need  of  some  net  wisdom.
   Here's the problem:

   on system V 3.2 performing an init S puts the system into  single
   user  mode.   It also makes the terminal that executed the init S
   the system console.  Also according to the man page init(1M), all
   mounted  file systems are left mounted and only processes spawned
   by init are killed. What the man page and documentation does  not
   say  is  that  any  processes  i.e. daemons that were created via
   script files in /etc/rc* are still running.  Which means that  if
   you  perform  an  init  2  from this state then there will be two
   copies of every daemon running.  Obviously this is not a  desire-
   able state! :-)

   The easy thing to do is just perform an init 6 which will  reboot
   the  system.   In  the interests of getting the system back up to
   multi-user mode in the shortest time, the ideal would be the init
   2.    What can we do to go back to run state 2 without rebooting?
   And is this a bug or a feature?

   Thanks in advance for the help. Marc

Seems like there should be some scripts in /etc/rc2.d to kill the
daemons.  You might also want to read up on /etc/inittab, in section 4
of the manual.

Joe Buehler
--
Joe Buehler