What is a good way to do general execs?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Jun 16 04:37:42 AEST 1990

 >It is indeed extraneous in the context; but I think your position is flawed.
 >Try:
 >	PATH=$PATH:.
 >	ln -s /bin/sh -sh
 >	-sh
 >Now, when you consider this to be a login shell, it becomes another matter,
 >but I think that it is non-intuitive naming.

If somebody really wants to do that, they presumably know what they're
doing.  The majority of shells invoked with "-" at the front of argv[0]
are almost certainly shells fired up from logins, and the second most
common set of such shells are fired up from "su"s with the appropriate
arguments; I considered the exceptions to be rare enough that confusion
from saying "login shell" rather than "shell fired up with '-' in front
of its first argument" to be unlikely enough that it wasn't worth using
the longer phrase and then explaining that "login" fires shells up with
"-" in front of the first argument....