time dependent login

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Sat Jun 9 08:03:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun6.081403.10065 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
 > On sun os systems, which are bsd derivitives, if a user attempts to login
 > without a home directory, they *are* allowed to login and are plopped into
 > "/", i.e., root.

The correct behaviour in my opinion.  When I login onto a sun and get plopped
into "/", I know there might be a network problem (my home directory is on a
file server that can be down).  If a login would be refused I might try
multiple times and still not understand what the problem is.  Moreover, even
if I get plopped into "/" on occasion I can still get work done, because I
can use an NFS mounted directory from another machine.  And lastly, most
often my home directory is not available because of problems in the auto
mounter, and a simple reset of the auto mounter helps.
dik at cwi.nl