performance measurements on unix-systems (V.3 680X0)

Roman Zielinski rzi at sposp1.UUCP
Thu Mar 1 21:48:42 AEST 1990

We are trying to make some performance measurements on unix systems, but we had
stated that the official V.3 environment is infantly primitive in this area -
the only reasonable (but not the best is 'sar').

What I'm looking for, are tools allowing you to see:
- total cpu load, momentary and integrated during the measurement period
- cpu load per process and kernel, momentary and integrated
- total disk load, momentary and integrated
- disk load per partition/subvolume
- average and max access times for disks, io-sizes etc
- sizes of processes (text, data, bss ...other if you have a smart linker),
		momentary
- 'fame' files per file system (ie names of files + number of accesses per
  		measurement period)
- file fragmentation
- utilization of kernel buffer pools (occupation, fragmentation...)
- currently used swapping strategy/policy

I've earlier  worked  with  performance on  V.2-like systems  from Philips (MPX
P9X00) - MPX had all those fancy tools with  histogram presentation  etc so all
system tuning and optimization was quite nice.   But  unfortunately those tools
cannot be ported too easy to the 'real' unix.

Please, all wonderful wizards, give us some good ideas (of cause sources are
also very welcome!!!).

			Greetings from sunny Stockholm, where spring came
			at least 3 months to early (i.e. no skiing).
				Roman

! Roman M. Zielinski		  ! <here should be something wise...>	      !
! Philips Tele & Data System AB   ! <but there is not>			      !
! S-115 84 Stockholm, Sweden	  !					      !
! tel +46 8 782 1373	          !					      !
! uunet!mcsun!sunic!sposp1!rzi    !					      !