The *ART* of Computer Programming

Jay A. Konigsberg jak at sactoh0.UUCP
Mon Mar 5 12:05:40 AEST 1990

>In article <25eb63c7.6a42 at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>If a program is worth >writing it is worth writing well.

There are many times a program seems like its a one-timer, though
the mood of the net is correct, it will probably be reused if it is
at all useful. My solution for Bourne Shell scripts was to write a
program generator that provides much of the formatting, input, file
handeling and trap code needed. Though most of the options are
prompted for, it is now possible to write a "one-time" shell script
that is 80% generated code and very tight.

One note here, this program is always in development and I keep as
a programmers program. Therefore, it doesn't always look as good as
the code it produces - oh well.