The *ART* of Computer Programming

Rich Strebendt res at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Sun Mar 4 14:18:49 AEST 1990

In article <12533 at nigel.udel.EDU>, new at udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> In article <25eb63c7.6a42 at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:
> >If a program is worth >writing it is worth writing well.
> Have you never heard of a one-time program? Or were you not referring to
> this kind of program?     -- Darren

There is nothing so long-lived as a useful one-shot program!!!

All programs, regardless of expected lifetime, should be written in a
style that is amenable to future changes.  This is not difficult to
do, and any PROFESSIONAL programmer should take pride in his/her
ability to do so.  I completely agree with Mr. Dudek:

> >If a program is worth >writing it is worth writing well.

This simple fact should be prominently displayed in every programmer's
office !!!

					Rich Strebendt
					...!att!ihlpb!res
					r.strebendt at att.com