Diffs to the Frequently Asked Questions postings

Steve Hayman sahayman at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Fri Mar 2 16:54:24 AEST 1990

Here are the most recent changes to parts 1 and 2 of the
Frequently Asked Questions articles, which have just been
posted.  You can find the full articles elsewhere in
comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards.  You can also ftp
the most recent version from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (129.79.254.192),
where it's "pub/Unix-Questions.part1" and "pub/Unix-Questions.part2".

*** /tmp/,RCSt1a02076	Fri Mar  2 00:53:33 1990
--- part2	Fri Mar  2 00:49:46 1990
***************
*** 38,44 ****
  	      the number in parentheses mean?
  	19) What does {awk,grep,fgrep,egrep,biff,cat,gecos,nroff,troff,tee,bss}
  	      stand for?
! 	20) How do I pronounce "vi" , or "!", or "/*", or ...?

      If you're looking for the answer to, say, question 14, and want to skip
--- 38,46 ----
  	      the number in parentheses mean?
  	19) What does {awk,grep,fgrep,egrep,biff,cat,gecos,nroff,troff,tee,bss}
  	      stand for?
! 	20) How does the gateway between "comp.unix.questions" and the
! 	    "info-unix" mailing list work?
! 	21) How do I pronounce "vi" , or "!", or "/*", or ...?

      If you're looking for the answer to, say, question 14, and want to skip
***************
*** 471,476 ****
--- 473,485 ----
      	    rsh machine command &
      or      rsh machine 'command &'

+     For instance, try doing   rsh machine 'sleep 60 &'
+     and you'll see that the 'rsh' won't exit right away.
+     It will wait 60 seconds until the remote 'sleep' command
+     finishes, even though that command was started in the
+     background on the remote machine.  So how do you get
+     the 'rsh' to exit immediately after the 'sleep' is started?
+
      The solution - if you use csh on the remote machine:

  	    rsh machine -n 'command >&/dev/null </dev/null &'
***************
*** 666,672 ****
      'time' command for timing programs, and also "time(3)", a manual
      page about the 'time' subroutine for determining the current time.
      You can use "man 1 time" or "man 3 time" to specify which "time"
!     Man page you're interested in.

      You'll often find other sections for local programs or
      even subsections of the sections above - Ultrix has
--- 675,681 ----
      'time' command for timing programs, and also "time(3)", a manual
      page about the 'time' subroutine for determining the current time.
      You can use "man 1 time" or "man 3 time" to specify which "time"
!     man page you're interested in.

      You'll often find other sections for local programs or
      even subsections of the sections above - Ultrix has
***************
*** 774,780 ****
      tidbits.

! 20) How do I pronounce "vi" , or "!", or "/*", or ...?
      You can start a very long and pointless discussion by wondering
      about this topic on the net.  Some people say "vye", some say
      "vee-eye" (the vi manual suggests this) and some Roman numerologists
--- 783,842 ----
      tidbits.

! 20) How does the gateway between "comp.unix.questions" and the
!     "info-unix" mailing list work?
!
!     "Info-Unix" and "Unix-Wizards" are mailing list versions of
!     comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards respectively.
!     There should be no difference in content between the
!     mailing list and the newsgroup.
!
!     To get on or off either of these lists, send mail to
!     Info-Unix-Request at brl.mil or Unix-Wizards-Request at brl.mil .
!     Be sure to use the '-Request'.  Don't expect an immediate response.
!
!     Here are the gory details, courtesy of the list's maintainer, Bob Reschly.
!
!     ==== postings to info-UNIX and UNIX-wizards lists ====
!
!        Anything submitted to the list is posted; I do not moderate incoming
!     traffic -- BRL functions as a reflector.  Postings submitted by Internet
!     subscribers should be addressed to the list address (info-UNIX or UNIX-
!     wizards);  the '-request' addresses are for correspondence with the list
!     maintainer [me].  Postings submitted by USENET readers should be
!     addressed to the appropriate news group (comp.unix.questions or
!     comp.unix.wizards).
!
!        For Internet subscribers, received traffic will be of two types;
!     individual messages, and digests.  Traffic which comes to BRL from the
!     Internet and BITNET (via the BITNET-Internet gateway) is immediately
!     resent to all addressees on the mailing list.  Traffic originating on
!     USENET is gathered up into digests which are sent to all list members
!     daily.
!
!        BITNET traffic is much like Internet traffic.  The main difference is
!     that I maintain only one address for traffic destined to all BITNET
!     subscribers. That address points to a list exploder which then sends
!     copies to individual BITNET subscribers.  This way only one copy of a
!     given message has to cross the BITNET-Internet gateway in either
!     direction.
!
!        USENET subscribers see only individual messages.  All messages
!     originating on the Internet side are forwarded to our USENET machine.
!     They are then posted to the appropriate newsgroup.  Unfortunately,
!     for gatewayed messages, the sender becomes "news at brl-adm".  This is
!     currently an unavoidable side-effect of the software which performs the
!     gateway function.
!
!        As for readership, USENET has an extremely large readership - I would
!     guess several thousand hosts and tens of thousands of readers.  The
!     master list maintained here at BRL runs about two hundred fifty entries
!     with roughly ten percent of those being local redistribution lists.
!     I don't have a good feel for the size of the BITNET redistribution, but
!     I would guess it is roughly the same size and composition as the master
!     list.  Traffic runs 150K to 400K bytes per list per week on average.
!
! 21) How do I pronounce "vi" , or "!", or "/*", or ...?
      You can start a very long and pointless discussion by wondering
      about this topic on the net.  Some people say "vye", some say
      "vee-eye" (the vi manual suggests this) and some Roman numerologists
***************
*** 843,849 ****
  	put#, floor&

  /    SLASH, stroke, virgule, solidus, slant, diagonal, over, slat, slak,
! 	across#, compress#, spare, divided-by, wand&, forward slash

  :    COLON, two-spot, double dot, dots, chameleon&

--- 905,912 ----
  	put#, floor&

  /    SLASH, stroke, virgule, solidus, slant, diagonal, over, slat, slak,
! 	across#, compress#, reduce#, replicate#, spare, divided-by, wand&,
! 	forward slash

  :    COLON, two-spot, double dot, dots, chameleon&

***************
*** 871,877 ****
  	mimic&

  \    BACKSLASH, reversed virgule, bash, (back)slant, backwhack, backslat,
! 	escape*, backslak, bak, reduce#, opulent throne&, slosh

  ^    CIRCUMFLEX, caret, carrot, (top)hat, cap, uphat, party hat, housetop,
  	up arrow, control, boink, chevron, hiccup, power, to-the(-power), fang,
--- 934,940 ----
  	mimic&

  \    BACKSLASH, reversed virgule, bash, (back)slant, backwhack, backslat,
! 	escape*, backslak, bak, scan#, expand#, opulent throne&, slosh, slope

  ^    CIRCUMFLEX, caret, carrot, (top)hat, cap, uphat, party hat, housetop,
  	up arrow, control, boink, chevron, hiccup, power, to-the(-power), fang,
***************
*** 894,900 ****
  	bitor+, vert, v-bar, spike, to*, gazinta*, thru*, pipesinta*, tube,
  	mark, whack, gutter, wall&

! ~    TILDE, twiddle, tilda, tildee, wave, squiggle, swung dash, approx,
  	wiggle, enyay#, home*, worm, not+

--- 957,963 ----
  	bitor+, vert, v-bar, spike, to*, gazinta*, thru*, pipesinta*, tube,
  	mark, whack, gutter, wall&

!  ~   TILDE, twiddle, tilda, tildee, wave, squiggle, swung dash, approx,
  	wiggle, enyay#, home*, worm, not+

***************
*** 941,946 ****
--- 1004,1011 ----
  		middle 1950's
  / across	APL
  / compress	APL
+ / reduce	APL
+ / replicate	APL
  := becomes	e.g. Pascal
  ; go-on		Algol68
  < left chevron	from the military: worn vertically on the sleeve to signify
***************
*** 953,959 ****
  @ trunk-a	"trunk" = "elephant nose"
  @ strudel	as in Austrian apple cake
  @ fetch		from FORTH
! \ reduce	APL
  ^ and		from formal logic
  ^ pointer	from PASCAL
  ^ upper-than	cf. > and <
--- 1018,1025 ----
  @ trunk-a	"trunk" = "elephant nose"
  @ strudel	as in Austrian apple cake
  @ fetch		from FORTH
! \ scan		APL
! \ expand	APL
  ^ and		from formal logic
  ^ pointer	from PASCAL
  ^ upper-than	cf. > and <
***************
*** 966,974 ****
  {} hitchcocks	from the old Alfred Hitchcock show, with the stylized profile
  		of the man
  | broken line	EBCDIC has two vertical bars, one solid and one broken.
! ~ enyay		from the Spanish n-tilde
  () nil		LISP
-
  --
  Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
  sahayman at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu     iuvax!sahayman                 (812) 855-6984