Where does ps get TTY from?

Michael T. Sullivan sullivan at aqdata.uucp
Fri Mar 30 02:05:59 AEST 1990

The subject line pretty much says it all.  What I'm particularly
interested in are cases where a tty has a few links to it.  For
instance, /dev/console here is also linked to /dev/syscon and
/dev/systty.  Why doesn't ps get confused and put those in the
TTY column?  What if there is another device with the same maj,min
numbers as console but not linked to it.  Could ps get confused
about this?  I'm curious how System V deals with this.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan at aqdata.uucp
San Dimas, CA             +1 714 599 9992