The *ART* of Computer Programming

Dan Mick dan at kfw.COM
Wed Mar 7 16:50:11 AEST 1990

Two totally unrelated requests, to anyone who might be listening:

First request:

I'd like an editor that's essentially vi with the ability to *easily*
switch between buffers; that is, I'd like to do something like ":e filename"
and have all my current files still in the ":e #" ":rew" ":n" list, and
I'd like to have ":p" take me to the previous, and I'd like marks to be
associated with a filename, etc.

Please don't tell me to use EMACS or some such; I don't want to learn
Yet Another Editor if I can help it.  Ideal would be diffs to vi source
or a vi clone with sufficient extensions.  It's hard to believe that
all the vi addicts haven't wanted to edit more than one file without having
another window or virtual console up...

Second request:

I'm running SunOS 3.2 on a Sun-3/50; the TCP/IP code is for the birds.
I've looked at the possibility of splicing in BSD 4.3 code, but it's too
complex without SunOS sources; too much has changed from 4.2->4.3.

Therefore, I'm looking for 4.2BSD TCP/IP code, namely, /usr/src/sys/net
and /usr/src/sys/netinet.  We are AT&T 5.3.1 source licensees, and I've
already talked to Keith Bostic at UCB; to get source from them would
require proof of license exchange, a 1/2" tape we don't have, a way to
read it, etc.

I'm reasonably sure there are no AT&T restrictions on this code; it surely
looks completely invented at CSRG, but I'd like to appeal to anyone with
4.2 source to work something out with me and a mail transfer.  We're not
talking a lot of source at all; the 4.3 stuff looks like about 300K total,
and I must believe the 4.2 stuff is smaller, as at least SLIP is not
included.

Email to the Reply-To: above should prove fruitful; please, let me know
your ideas and recommendations.  I'm desperate for both of these.