Having trouble with Berkeley "timed"

Mark Frost humtech at ucschu.ucsc.edu
Tue Mar 20 07:11:17 AEST 1990

Hello. We have a need to run the time daemon on our 4.3BSD machine.  The
current release tape we are running from ISI has a bug in it that causes our
clock to go nuts ("nuts" == loses about one hour per day).  We aren't in
any big rush to go through the trouble of updating our system (yet again!)
so we'd like a nice way of syncing our clock. We've never used timed
before so we don't have much experience with it.

The problem I'm having is that /etc/timed seems to want to only get time
from a "local" net. We are running our machine in the "128.114.180" subnet
of our campus net ("128.114").  The only other UNIX machine in our
"local" net that runs UNIX is a Sun 3 running SunOS 4.0.3 and I've heard
from people at Sun that they don't support timed. There are plenty of other
machines on campus in several other subnets that are running timed. So
the question is, there are other masters on campus, how do I make my
time daemon find them?  When I run timed the log file indicates that it
can't find a master and elects itself as one ("the blind leading the blind").
I've tried the -n option to specify a net, but to no avail. Am I just stuck -
will timed not look beyond a local subnet?

I can run "timedc" and get the time of any host on campus manually so I
know it's possible.

Please respond via e-mail.

Thanx for your help!

Mark Frost