Real-timeness of System V R4?

Richard Meesters ram at attcan.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 00:17:00 AEST 1990

In article <226 at intek01.UUCP>, mark at intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> I haven't seen any details on this.  Is there someone close to the porting
> effort that could comment?  Is SysVR4 going to be a true contender in
> this arena?  We don't require microsecond response time, but it is nice
> to stop those machines before they drive through walls, etc ... :-)
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight.

According to the SVR4 Product Overview, SVR4 introduces new process-scheduler
architecture, and high-resolution timing services to support real-time
processing.

The high resolution timers are based on the BSD system timing services, and
give microsecond resolution.

If you want more information, you can try and get the SVR4 "System
Administrator's Guide" and the "Programmer's Guide:  System Services and
Application Packaging Tools."  I'm not sure if they are yet available though.

Regards,
Richard Meesters