rcp doesn't work one way

David Mason mason at oct1.UUCP
Wed Mar 28 03:52:58 AEST 1990

>From article <22782 at adm.BRL.MIL>, by Leisner.Henr at xerox.com (Marty):
>
> Between two machines (a sun386i and a sun3/280) I can:
>         1) rlogin both ways with no problem
>         2) rsh both ways with no problem
>         3) rcp only one way (sun386i initiates the transfer).
>
> The sun386i can send/receive stuff via rcp from the sun3.

I've seen a similar thing on ISC 386/ix 2.0.2.  It may be
unrelated, but it may not.  The problem was that one could
only fetch remote large files, and not move big files
local->remote.

The cause was the ulimit.  On V.3.2, the ulimit defaults to
about 2000 blocks, and can be reset in /etc/default/login for
all logins.  However, /usr/ucb/r* utilities are poorly ported
up to V.3.2 by Interactive, and do not read any of the
/etc/default/* files.  This problem was discussed in October
'89 on the net.

Anyway, the ulimit was too low, so you couldn't write large
files remotely.  Maybe you should check this area.