rules for RCS in make

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Fri Mar 16 08:46:56 AEST 1990

In article <MEISSNER.90Mar15165531 at curley.osf.org> meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
>In article <1990Mar15.172216.4674 at max.sunysb.edu>
>rosalia at max.sunysb.edu (Mark Galassi) writes:
>| Does anyone have a rule for make, so that any .c file will depend
>| on an RCS/file.c,v and it will be generated with "co file.c"?
>
>Switch to GNU-make, which has RCS rules builtin

GNU-make is very nice, but for some people it is not a simple matter
to just switch to a totally different 'make'.  My group uses probably
a dozen different machines, most of which we do not have operational
control over, and some of which have very strict limits on permanent
file quotas, which would likely prohibit keeping the executable
around.  So we just use lowest common denominator 'make' at present,
which is a royal pain.

My question is will there be any standardization in the (near?) future
on 'make' implementations in things like SysV.4, 4.4BSD, etc. which
have "enhanced functionality", a la Sun or GNU, or mk, or any of the
millions of make improvemnts out there?

I don't want to hear all about the improved makes -- I've already
looked into a lot of them.  I just want to find out if any of them
will become more prevalent due to their use in major new OS releases.

Thanks.
David Bernholdt			bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold at ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida