Which is more portable: stty < or stty >

Andy Behrens andyb at coat.com
Wed Mar 14 07:16:24 AEST 1990

In article <JV.90Mar13162312 at squirrel.mh.nl> jv at mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:

>  [On the topic of using stdin or stdout for stty(1): System V assumes you may
>  want to redirect the output somewhere other than the terminal being probed.]
>
> This seems quite logical to me, considering things like
>
>	STTY_FLAGS=`stty -g < /dev/tty`
>	sane() { stty ${STTY_FLAGS}; }
>
> You can't do this from your BSD .login .

You can certain capture the stty output in a variable.  BSD stty probes
stdout (not stdin), but it writes to stderr (not stdout).  So you could
write

	STTY_OUTPUT=`stty 2>&1 >/dev/tty`

Of course, BSD doesn't support 'stty -g', but that's another issue.

--
Live justly, love gently, walk humbly.
					Andy Behrens
					andyb at coat.com

uucp:   {uunet,rutgers}!dartvax!coat.com!andyb
Burlington Coat, PO Box 729, Lebanon, N.H. 03766	(603) 448-5000