Moira release 2.2

Mark Rosenstein mar at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 24 07:00:28 AEST 1990

This is to announce the public release of version 2.2 of Moira, the
Athena Service Management System.  Since the alpha test version (2.0)
was made available, there have been many fixes and improvements, and
we have cleaned up many MIT-specific things to make the package more
general.

This software is (c) Copyright 1990 by the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology: Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is
hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice
appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of M.I.T. not be
used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
software without specific, written prior permission.  M.I.T. makes no
representations about the suitability of this software for any
purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

It will require some work to integrate at other sites unless all the
Athena network services are available.  This is the system currently
in use at Athena; the system has been in service for 2.5 years here.
We run the clients on VAX hardware under 4.3BSD, and and IBM RT/PCs
running AOS (IBM's version of 4.3BSD); the server runs on VAX hardware
under 4.3BSD.  The clients have had some testing on Ultrix 3.1 on the
DECstation 3100, SunOS 4.0 and Next 1.0 as well.

You are expected to have Kerberos (Project Athena's authentication
service) and RTI Ingres (a relational database system available from
Relational Technology, Inc.) before attempting to build and install
Moira.  A design goal was to not be tied in to one database, but since
we don't have other databases or SQL currently available at Athena,
this is the only supported database.  It would take a fair amount of
work to port it to another relational database, and is not feasible to
run using dbm files.  If you do decide to port to another database,
you may want to discuss it by e-mail to moira at ATHENA.MIT.EDU.

Moira (and Kerberos, if you need it) is available via anonymous FTP
from ATHENA-DIST.MIT.EDU (internet address 18.71.0.38).  In the
directory pub/moira, you will find five files:

moira.tar.Z.aa	512000	split compressed tar of sources & documentation
moira.tar.Z.ab	512000	split compressed tar of sources & documentation
moira.tar.Z.ac	300758	split compressed tar of sources & documentation
tech_plan.PS.Z	119117	postscript file of the technical description (83 pp)
usenix.PS.Z	47837	postscript file of the Winter 88 Usenix paper (11 pp)

To retrieve the complete distribution, get the three moira.tar.Z.a*
files, concatenate them together, uncompress the result, then untar
it.  This complete distribution contains the other two documentation
files.

This is the only way to get this software now; a distribution tape
with all the Athena network services may be available in a few months.
If you want to receive a notice when this tape becomes available,
please send your request to info-panss-request at ATHENA.MIT.EDU

General discussion about this software may be directed to the mailing
list moira at ATHENA.MIT.EDU; to be added to this mailing list, send a
message with your e-mail address (relative to the Internet) to
moira-request at ATHENA.MIT.EDU.  Bugs should be reported only by mailing
to bug-moira at ATHENA.MIT.EDU.  We make no guarantees that bugs will be
tracked in real-time, although we will provide what support we can.

				-Mark Rosenstein
				Project Athena Systems and Operations