NWIS / microcase analyzer

Roman Zielinski rzi at sposp1.UUCP
Thu Mar 1 22:05:59 AEST 1990

SUBJECT:
I'm looking for someone who succeeded to use NWIS / Microcase cpu-analyzer with
680x0-probes for measurements  on a  particular process  run on  UNIX V.3 (AT&T
68000).

SHORT DESCRIPTION OF THE NWIS-TOOL:
The cpu-analyzer works (by many other features) like software profiling in unix
BUT it does not affect measurements (no profiling overhead) and you do not have
to recompile your application, in fact you can take  any 3rd  party product and
see which address ranges they are using often, which are  not used  etc...  You
can also see how good test coverage you have in your  system test  (only 30% of
total program code???).  I found the tool very powerful  and useful,  even if I
weesh that  the number  of events/symbols  which can  be presented  by the tool
could be bigger.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
We was able to do this on a Philips V.2  MPX P9X00  systems.   There the kernel
team has added two flags in the kernel:   one saying  that my  process has been
activated and one  saying that  my process  is not  running any  longer.  Using
accesses to these addresses as trigger we could follow a process.   Of cause it
was also  a  command  to  tell  kernel  which  process id  that was  ment to be
supervized.

The question is:  "Does  AT&T UNIX  V.3 some  good addresses  (symbols) one can
trig on? Or perhaps there are already things prepared for external analyzers?

Help!  Help!  Help!  Help!  Help!  Help!   Help!   Help!   Help!   Help!  Help!
Help!  Help!  Help!  Help!  Help!  Help!   Help!   Help!   Help!   Help!  Help!

					Greetings, Roman

! Roman M. Zielinski		  ! <here should be something wise...>	      !
! Philips Tele & Data System AB   ! <but there is not>			      !
! S-115 84 Stockholm, Sweden	  !					      !
! tel +46 8 782 1373	          !					      !
! uunet!mcsun!sunic!sposp1!rzi    !					      !