AT&T SysV 386 Driver for Targa

Dennis S. Breckenridge root at nebulus.UUCP
Thu Mar 29 01:08:34 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar28.045430.6491 at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> fostel at cscadm.UUCP (Gary Fostel) writes:

>     Does anyone have those AT&T manuals and recommend them highly enough
>     to scrape up the money to buy them?  Is the 386 SysV enough like
>     other "generic" unix systems that I can assume common kernel functions
>     are there with the names I expect?  Not having the sources to this

I could not think of writing a driver without the BCS manuals. They are
invaluable! Be aware that they are porting base specific (read that as
3B2/**) but it is the only place, short of the source, to get a list of
kernel functions. The second part of the equation is procuring a copy
of the Integrated Software Design Guide for the 386. This gives a good
overview of a simple device driver, how to install it in the 386 driver
layout, etc... Spend the 350 + whatever the ISDG is worth. I have done
quite a bit of driver work without these manuals in the past an I found
I was spending more time reverse engineering parts of the O/S than generating
new code. Now driver work comes easy! ;-)