HELP! BSD select() on socket (WIN/TCP for VMS)

TAYBENGH%NUSDISCS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu TAYBENGH%NUSDISCS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Mon Mar 19 17:51:20 AEST 1990

        Recently I have a problem of using the select() system call in WIN/TCP
for VMS Release 3.2. According to the manuals provided by Wollongong, the
select() takes in NULL pointer for writefds/exceptfds, but I always encounter
access violation run-time error when I tried to call

        select(n, readfds, 0, 0, &timeout);

Moreover, select() supposed to block or return depend on the timeval (timeout)
passed in, but it always return immediately no matter what timeout value I
gives without setting any fle descriptors (channels). For example,

        timeout.tv_sec = 10000;
        FD_ZERO(&ready);
        FD_ZERO(&write);
        FD_ZERO(&except);
        FD_SET(sock, &ready);
        FD_SET(sock, &write);
        FD_SET(sock, &except);
        /*
         * Null pointer is not working, giving acess violation problems!
         */
        if (nfd = (select(sock+1, &ready, &write, &except, &timeout)) <0)
           perror("select");

        Anybody out there knows the solution, please help...
        Thanks.

-Beng Hang (taybengh at nusdiscs.bitnet)