Raw disk I/O

amos shapira amoss at batata.huji.ac.il
Sun Mar 25 00:30:19 AEST 1990

chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:

>>1) Does file locking via fcntl() still apply ?

>No, because there are no files.  fcntl() does not do file locking in BSD
>anyway: fnctl() for locking is a System V feature.  BSD provides only
>flock().

While it's true that there are no files in the partition used, the process
should still be able to lock the partition itself (e.g. /dev/rxsd0c), which
could help provide some degree of consistency.

Correct me if I have a mistake.

>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
>Domain: chris at cs.umd.edu Path: uunet!mimsy!chris

Cheers,
- Amos Shapira - amoss at batata.huji.ac.il[.bitnet]

Super users do it without asking for permission - me.