csh / bsd job control

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Thu Mar 22 16:09:33 AEST 1990

In article <KARL.90Mar21140133 at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>The SysV csh I built took care of the problem reasonably trivially.
>When a job _stopped_, csh would restore the tty state it knew before
>When a job _ended_, the tty state was not messed with, on the
>assumption that the job knew what it was doing if it changed things.

Hey, make it restore when the job abends and you've got a friend
for life.  Certainly if it dies of a signal, and I'd be happy with
it resetting on any non-zero exit.

Of course there is probably some broken program somewhere that
wouldn't be happy with it, but wtf.

I've actually built a trivial shell that wrapped a stty restore
around a system(gets()) to use when testing ioctl-intensive code.

Particularly when working on the console of a terminal-less system :-(
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"You have no scars on your face, and you cannot handle pressure." - Billy Joel