Use of ssignal() in Sys V.

Ravi Ramachandran rr at csuna.cs.uh.edu
Wed Mar 14 15:28:16 AEST 1990

The man pages for ssignal & gsignal on Sys V are as succint as usual.
I tried looking up a few adv. Unix books, but none of them ever mention
ssignal. The way I have used it is to use ssignal to initialize the
software signal, and then use gsignal to raise it. But this seems more
like another version of using setjmp() or calling a procedure. Is there
any use for ssignal()? Can I use it between processes (I tried it & it
didn't seem to work)? I know the man pages says that the C compiler uses
it. But unless there is some way a parallel thread can send a signal,
it does not seem too useful.

Thanx for shedding any light (I SAID BUD LITE),
  --ravi-