csh / bsd job control

Aryeh M. Weiss aryeh at eddie.mit.edu
Sat Mar 24 01:27:15 AEST 1990

In article <KARL.90Mar21140133 at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>Not really...
>
>   I'd be curious to hear how those shells that do this handle the stty
>   problem.
>
>The SysV csh I built took care of the problem reasonably trivially.
>When a job _stopped_, csh would restore the tty state it knew before
>the job was started.  When the job was restarted, csh would re-assert
>the tty state it had when the job last stopped.
>
>When a job _ended_, the tty state was not messed with, on the
>assumption that the job knew what it was doing if it changed things.

Csh already has "prefixes" like "nohup `command'" or "time `command'".
How about a prefix like "condom `command'", which would save the tty state
before the command is run and restore it after to a "safe" state (:-).
This would be useful for debugging software that changes the tty state
but may still be prone to crash before it gets a chance to restore the modes.