Defunct process

Mark Quattrocchi mark at cygnet.UUCP
Fri Mar 9 02:44:47 AEST 1990

Someone out there must have the answer to this little annoyance...

I occasionally get both a <defunct> and <exiting> process after having
tip croak on me. This happens when once in a while when I manually try
logging into other systems to generate chat scripts. Somehow the remote
system sends me some garbage and tip just freaks out. The only way out
is to kill my shell and log in again. So now I'm back in and I have two
processes left over from the dead tip, one <exiting> on my tty, and a
<defunct> one belonging to nobody (these processes exist even before I
kill my shell). Even as root I can't kill these damn processes and it
leaves me with an unusable modem until I reboot the system. BTW this is
on a Sun 3/280 using 4.0.3. Any ideas on how to get out of this state
would be great.

Mark Quattrocchi {3comvax|oliveb|hplabs}!cygnet!mark