SunOS SLIP problem

Matt Crawford matt at group-w.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 7 07:19:33 AEST 1990

I've installed ther Toronto 3.X slip on a 3/140 running SunOS 3.5.
I'm using Microcom QX V.32 modems with the serial ports set at 19,200
bps.  I've also made a small change to slattach and sundev/zs_async.c
to honor the CTS line form the modem as flow control.

It all works fine - I can ftp huge files (getting better throughput with
text than binary because of the compression the modem does), ping,
telnet, and even spray as long as I put a "-d ###" argument on spray to
keep the slip output queue below 50.

BUT ... the application that this line is to support regularly causes
the slip connection to hang.  If the output queue hits 50 in the hung
state, slip notices and restarts output.  A BIG comment in the code
draws attention to this bug.  Has anyone found and fixed the bug?  It's
too bad that TCP never makes the output queue hit 50, so the restart
code normally does not get activated before the TCP connection breaks.

The RCS id from tty_sl.c:

static char rcsid[] = "$Header: /ai/car/src/slip/slip-3.x/tty_sl.c,v
1.12 89/05\/31 23:49:02 rayan Exp $";

Thanks for any ideas ...

				Matt Crawford