System V kernel panic not syncing

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Mar 14 05:12:06 AEST 1990

In article <779 at s5.Morgan.COM> amull at Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
| Anyone know how to get the SCO UNIX System V/386 r3.2 kernel
| to do sync when it panics so fsck is happy when you start up again?

  I believe that an attempt is made to determine if a sync can be done
or not. If the kernel thinks the in-memory info is bad it should NOT try
to sync, since this may keep fsck from recovering anything. I seem to
recall installing a patch in SysIII to prevent the sync.

  Or you could use a version which doesn't panic ;-(
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX