Printing section number with troff -ms macros.

David R Kohr drk at athena.mit.edu
Thu Nov 1 09:34:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct30.224252.7998 at athena.mit.edu> drk at athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:
>I am trying to produce a Table of Contents which includes the section number
>as well as page number for each item listed.  I am using the regular

More careful perusal of Sun's Sun/OS 4.0.3 manuals has revealed
a large document which explains how to use number registers and
strings, among many other things.  It appears that the "ms" macros
have an internal string register SN which contains the current section
number in an appropriate format; putting \*(SN in the text produces
the section numbers I need (although this isn't advertised as necessarily
being kosher in the "ms" document).

--
David R. Kohr     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory      Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
    email:    DRK at ATHENA.MIT.EDU (preferred)  or  KOHR at LL.LL.MIT.EDU