Cron jobs running as something other than root

Michael Johnston mjohn at king..citib
Sat Sep 8 01:30:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep6.225446.28837 at wrl.dec.com> vixie at wrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>In article <1990Sep5.200114.1711 at rosewall.citib> mjohn at king.UUCP (Michael Johnston) writes:
># If you are running BSD or flavors of System V you have available to you
># the 'crontab' command. Just create a crontab file for the USER you wish
># to run cron jobs for. Then su to the username you wish to install it for
># and say "crontab < your_cron_file". That's all folks.
>
>Not quite.  BSD through 4.3-reno doesn't have this.  4.4 will have it,
>in the form of my free version of cron (which uses crontab -uUSER rather
>than 'su USER;crontab' btw).  Grab it from gatekeeper.dec.com anon ftp
>/pub/misc/vixie/cron2.tar.Z.  (Will appear in comp.sources.unix shortly.)

I stand corrected. The system I'm using is running SunOS 4.03 and it
DOES have the crontab utility. SunOS being derived from BSD but with
added SysV extensions often makes me forget it's origins.

Michael R. Johnston, Mgr.           Internet: mjohn at citib.com
USCPG , Treasury Systems            UUCP: uunet!uupsi!bank!mjohn
Citicorp, NA                        (718) 248-5373