UNIX semantics do permit full support for asynchronous I/O

Todd M. Lewis utoddl at uncecs.edu
Sat Sep 1 00:29:06 AEST 1990

In article <31445.26dc0466 at ccavax.camb.com> merriman at ccavax.camb.com writes:
>In article <1990Aug29.170931.10853 at terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
>	rsc at merit.edu (Richard Conto) writes:
>

>> Make it simpler. Have a routine that requests an I/O operation. Another
>> routine that can check it's status. A way of specifying a routine to be
>> called when the I/O operation completes might be yet another option.
>
>Sure sounds like VMS QIO calls.

Sounds like the Amiga's OS to me.  And UNIX doesn't do this?
I'm trying to be a UNIX nut in training, but I keep hearing about
these new tricks that seem to be rather hard to teach the
old dog.  I'd hate to wake up in 5 years and realize that UNIX
had become to workstations what MS-DOS is to PCs now.  Somebody
pinch me.