Shared libraries (was Re: Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing))

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Mon Apr 29 13:07:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.025800.3108 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>On a '386 running SCO UNIX (or xenix, for that matter), a call to a shared
>library function one jump in addition to the normal call.  Thus, there is a
>*very* slight performance hit.

Oops.  Forgot something, which explained my next paragraph.  In addition to
the call overhead, any shared data goes through an extra level of
indirection, adding to execution time, and any function within the same
shared library will also go through an extra layer of indirection.

While this is not necessarily worth it for things like printf, I do believe
that it is worth it for things like X.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."