X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Vivek Khera khera at cs.duke.edu
Tue Apr 16 03:13:57 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr14.143159.3560 at alembic.acs.com> csu at alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack) writes:

   In article <1991Apr10.194243.12882 at watmath.waterloo.edu> gamiddle at watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
   >workstation hardware became affordable, X seems to be the best.  Of course,
   >that set has only one member.

   Not quite. Remember a very nice package that was posted to c.s.u
   a few years back called MGR? Steve Uhler at Bell Labs claimed that
   an updated version of that was going to come out eventually, but I've
   seen no sign of it. Pity.

   [Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
   doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]

actually, the libraries could be compiled on any machine, similar to
the way the X library can.  the hardware dependent routines numbered
something like 6 functions.  all in one file, if i recall correctly
(even if it were more, it was still a small portion).  i even got the
MGR libraries to compile on a BBN GP-1000 parallel processor running a
home-brewed version of their OS.  worked like a charm drawing my
graphics on my Sun 3.  i'd like to see MGR updated... even though X is
plenty fast on my SPARC.