Should find traverse symbolic links?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Feb 26 07:04:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb25.130613.2553 at phri.nyu.edu> roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	I was surprised to observe today that if you do "find dir ..." and
> dir is a symbolic link to a directory, the directory isn't entered.  Thus:
>
> 	This seems to me to be The Wrong Thing.  Is it a bug in find, or
> was it really intended to work that way?

It seems questionable but I'd think there'd be a lot more problems if
if did follow links - symlink loops lurk everywhere, not to mention
links in user modifiable directories pointing into system stuff to
trap the unwary root.

For the initial case of the argument being a symlink, you can probably
use the "find /link/" trailing slash kludge, as long as you expect it's
going to be a link to a directory or a directory..

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com