Assistance with Sendmail.cf

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Feb 10 16:10:54 AEST 1991

>BTW, anyone know the name of Allman's [sp?] course (& professor) that
>did this to us?  It was some language design course with the .cf file
>looking like the skeleton of a parser...

I've been saying it since the first person complained about sendmail's
config file...

The community has been free to write a replacement, it's not even that
daunting since it's just a user level application (no kernel support
needed that's peculiar to sendmail.) 99% of what it does is match
various address formats and decide which mailer to fork, possibly with
some minor string transformations on the address.

Even just the config file part could have probably been re-worked, the
full source has been available for years to all.

Although there have been a few attempts, sendmail remains predominant
among Unix internet gateway mailers after all these years, by far. So
we have to assume that either it isn't that bad, or no one can think
of a better way to do this.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs