Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Brent Burton n138ct at tamuts.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 2 09:00:00 AEST 1991

Thesummary line sez it.  I had problems before with mysterious
control characters appearing in some file names as I typed them (due
to the noisy phone lines).

  shouldn't something like:  rm "slash/file"
  work OK?  The shell takes whatever is in quotes on the input line
and passes it straight to the program's argv[n].  If the program
uses this string value to manipulate the file, then maybe the string
(and of course, the slash) are being passed to the FS manager of the
kernel.  Would the FS then use the '/' to find the file?
---
Or another idea:
   use     'rm -i *'  -- rm asks you before each file whether or not to
delete it.  DON'T HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.  CHECK YOUR LOCAL MAN
PAGES BEFORE DOING THIS!

---- I hope one of these ideas work...