dynamic linking C code with ld link editor

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Fri Feb 15 08:39:52 AEST 1991

>I had this problem for several months until (after much hacking) I got my
>dynamic loaders to work with Postgres.  It is a rather different idea than
>shared libraries - the idea is to load and execute a function (whose name is
>unknown beforehand) in an object file given by the user.

Different idea, but the SunOS 4.1/S5R4 implementation of it (and, I
think, the OSF/1 implementation of it) uses a lot of stuff from the
shared library mechanism in the OSes in question.  If you're on one of
those systems, you don't have to know about executable file formats, or
all the other obscure stuff; just use the dynamic loading mechanism that
comes with the OS.