Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

Erik Naggum enag at ifi.uio.no
Fri Feb 15 20:15:08 AEST 1991

In article <BZS.91Feb14043317 at world.std.com>, Barry Shein writes:
> From: s082 at brems.ii.uib.no
> >Just one thing: Why would anyone want a slash (or any such character) a
> >filename in the first place?

> Perhaps the file name was in Norwegian? :-)

I fail to see the humor in this.

> Doesn't norwegian use o-slash and all that?

Norwegian does overload (as per ISO 646) [\]{|} into (ISO 8859-1 alert)
FXEfxe, but / remains /.  Norwegians may actually use - or . to
separate the parts of the date spec, so you might be better off with
one of us Viking descendants...  (Presently, I'm glad that we did not
inherit their Runes, even though the winter weather outside is
reminiscent of the Fimbulvinter we will see shortly before, or was it
after, the end of the world.)

My parents were fortunately smart enough to choose a family name
without any of the "national" characters, and to give me a name without
any of them, too, which might or might not have been caused by a quite
astonishing amount of foresight.  I've already decided on a dedication
line for any books I might produce:

	To my parents, who kindly avoided F, X, and E in my name.

Finally, I hope this makes it out with the ISO 8859-1 intact.  If not,
some of you might wonder what's so special with F, X and E.

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag at ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik at naggum.uu.no>