Source for UNIX

Stefan Linnemann crissl at rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl
Fri Feb 8 22:34:15 AEST 1991

In <25884 at adm.brl.mil> ssds!tims at uunet.uu.net (Tim Sesow (SSDS Rocky Mntn)) writes:
>UNIX has never been freely distributed among Universities.  I
>purchased my first source license in 1979 (while employed at
>a university) and even then (Version 6) you had to execute
>a contract with AT&T that forbid disclosure to non-licensed
>individuals/organizations.  At that time UNIX Source Code
>cost $20,000 for for-profit organizations and $230 for
>universities, et al.  Last I heard it is now $100,000
>(don't know the university price).

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for AT&T.  All info without warranty.

Last information I have (from when we purchased our license):

--- start of info ---

EDUCATIONAL SOURCE CODE LICENSING FEES
Effective 28 september 1988

UNIX System V, release 3.2
First CPU; Educational    1st request fee:  3,600 US$
First CPU; Adminnitrative 1st request fee: 18,800 US$

The above fee does not include a software distribution.

Additional software distribution:    2,000 US$
(Tape and Documentation)

For additional information in Europe, please contact:

AT&T UNIX Europe
International House
Ealing Broadway
LONDON W5 5DB
England

--- end of info ---

Does this clear things a bit?

Greetings,
Stefan.

| Stefan M. Linnemann, a.k.a. crissl at rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl            |
  Life is like the odd bit of string: it should be long enough to do
  Something Extremely Useful with it, but for all of the really neat
| things we think of, it's just too short.                           |
| -- Me, 1990, as far as I know; correct me if I'm wrong.            |